Las Vegas, NV, January 4, 2006. To combat the alarming number of annoying and potentially disastrous security breaches to the home or small office, D-Link, the end-to-end networking solutions provider for consumers and business, today introduced the first desktop Internet Security Device (ISD) that provides multi-tiered protection for all networked PCs against viruses, spam, spyware, pop-ups, hackers and other privacy invasions while operating under a single integrated, easy-to-use web-based control center.
With today's launch of the SecureSpot Internet Security Device at CES 2006 in Booth 35832, South Hall, Las Vegas Convention Center, D-Link is helping to make computing a safer, more pleasant and productive experience for home and small business PC users, reducing such fears as:
- New network threats strike every 42 minutes
- More than 67,000 viruses are known; 300 more are discovered each month
- Identity theft continues to rise
- With predators and offensive content, the Internet can be a dangerous place for both young and old
- The vast majority of homes and small businesses connected to the Internet are still unprotected from hackers, viruses, spam, and emerging blended threat
- Disparate stand-alone security products often are confusing, expensive and ineffective
"The all-in-one SecureSpot solution uses a combination of desktop hardware, network servers, thin clients and managed services to provide multi-tiered network protection from both current and emerging Internet security threats," said Steven Joe, president and CEO of D-Link. "This affordable, user-friendly system is a new and exciting alternative for providing total network security in the home and small business environment."
Joe added "home and small business owners no longer have to research, purchase and then attempt to install a confusing set of software applications that may not work together. They no longer have to struggle to understand the complexities of Internet security."
D-Link SecureSpot performs multiple security functions with a single plug-and-play device and a web-hosted control center, putting an end to the need for consumers to select, buy, and integrate disparate stand-alone firewalls, pop-up blockers, reporting applications, content and spam filters and antivirus protection.
SecureSpot consolidates firewall, antivirus, intrusion detection, content filtering, pop-up and spyware killers into one small device. Powered by BSecure Technologies, all product functions operate under one Web-managed system that provides protection for the home or small office network and attached Windows or OSX-based computers.
Key Product Features/Benefits
- Plug and Play - Inline device resides between existing broadband modem and router (D-Link and all brands), or can be directly attached to a PC or a laptop for the traveler.
- Auto-Sensing Technology - Identifies local network devices, providing easy set-up for any home or small business.
- Browser-Based Control Panel - Provides easy administration of single or multiple PCs. Virus scan times and other tasks can be performed anywhere on the network for one or all computers. Protective services can be mixed and matched based on user preference.
- Multi-Layer Security - Protects valuable data and resources at a network perimeter level and a computer system level as well as maintaining security databases at a web services level.
- Real-Time Databases - SecureSpot automatically updates and secures virus definitions, URL databases, spyware and spam server lists and all network tools.
- OS Support for all Windows 98 and higher operating systems, and Macintosh OSX 10.3 and 10.4.
D-Link SecureSpot is designed to make users' personal choices in content filtering easier, safer, more reliable and faster - it will not slow down Internet traffic.
Using the optional password override function, users have the flexibility to choose between 34 filtering categories, with individual site block and unblock features. The integrated web-based Control Center allows selective filtering of Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications, Instant Messaging (IM) and other programs (IRC, FTP, etc.).
High-risk viruses, worms and Trojan programs like MyDoom, MiMail, Bugbear, Slammer and others are prevented from invading SecureSpot-guarded networks. The SecureSpot engine is fueled by the award-winning, patented Anti-Virus service that has been proven trustworthy and effective by more than 25 million worldwide users.
The SecureSpot client-server pop-up killer eliminates pop-ups that have common window handle titles, that are adware/spyware driven and those that are generated from known URL sites. Users can add their own sites to the pop-up database or their own window titles for annoying handles that slip through the system. Also included is a hot key override to allow pop-ups when needed.
Firewall & Intrusion Detection
Users are protected from "back door" hacker attacks with SecureSpot's Personal Firewall that is simple to use, effective and complements the product's anti-virus tools. In addition, D-Link provides a built-in intrusion detection system (like a network burglar alarm system) that constantly keeps an eye on and logs open Internet connections for suspicious behavior.
Working in conjunction with SecureSpot's Personal Firewall and pop-up killer functions, the Spyware Killer feature automatically updates the server-based lists of spyware sites, blocks adware and spyware applications, prevents destructive viruses, Trojan Horse and worm applications from starting up, warns of PC intrusion attempts and keeps event logs to track suspicious activity.
Designed to give the user more control over Spam filtering and complement the Internet Service Provider's spam-fighting tools, SecureSpot Spam Blocker is an easy-to-use, easy-to-install, self-configuring email filter that requires no changes to most email programs, such as Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, Eudora, Netscape and Incredimail, and AOL, Hotmail, MSN and Yahoo web mail systems.
With its proven "sender verification technology", SecureSpot automatically blocks incoming Spam (junk mail) while allowing user-approved email from friends, family and known contacts. It will challenge unknown addresses or Internet domains to perform Spam blocking for all mail accounts and mail applications on network attached PCs without having to change addresses, forward mail, or give out passwords.